Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MAGIC made easy

“Make a connection.” That’s the first step to MAGIC. At Macy’s, we believe everyone can do MAGIC. MAGIC selling that is. In this introductory video, we’ll take you through each step of the MAGIC selling process. Don’t worry if all this is new to you. Thousands of great MAGIC sellers had their starts in the very chairs you are now sitting in. Are you ready to begin? Fantastic. Here we go.
The M in MAGIC is for… That’s right! You remembered. “Make a connection.” At Macy’s we are committed to service. And service starts with a smile. Always greet the customer in a friendly and calm manner. Exchange names, and let the customer know that you are interested in them as a person. As shopping can be strenuous for some, always exude confidence and let the customer know that you are there for them in whatever capacity they need.

“Hello ma’am. Is there anything I can help you with today?”
“Um, yeah. You see that mannequin over there? I really like that coat on him. Do you have that in a medium for my husband?” Excellent. I know exactly what she wants, and I know whom she’s buying for. I am totally making a connection right now. Crap! I forgot to exchange names.
“My name is Derek.”
“Ok… do you have the coat or not?”
“Yes, yes! Of course we do. It’s here somewhere. It’s just that our stock people changed around the whole place yesterday. So, I’m all messed up.” Truthfully, I don’t know if we have stock people. Even if we do, they definitely didn’t change anything around since yesterday. I just don’t know where anything is. But I can’t let her know that. I’ve got to show her that I’m still on top of everything. “You wait right there, and I’ll be back with that large in just a second.”
“Medium! You need to find me a medium.”
“Yes, yes! Of course I do.”

“Ask questions.” The second letter of MAGIC is how you can find out the best way to serve the customer. Use your knowledge to help them find exactly what they are looking for and be sure to listen to their answers.

“Sorry ma’am, did you say XL or L?”
“I said M. Listen. I don’t have all day.”
“Yes, yes! Of course!” I need more time to find this damn coat. I’ve already walked around the entire section and I don’t see it. I see pea coats. I see dress coats with little bits of fur. I see blazers. I see windbreakers. I see solid white bubble jackets. I see solid black bubble jackets. I don’t see dark green, blue-lined, checkered bubble jackets. But now I see my manager Sonam! Oh Sonam, who knows oh so many things, tell me please, “Where do I find that jacket that is out there on that mannequin?”
“Follow me.” We walk to a rack filled with solid white bubble jackets. “These jackets are reversible. Turn it inside out, and you’ll find your dark green, blue-lined, checkered bubble jacket.”

“Give Options, Give Opinions.” The G in MAGIC is exactly what it sounds like. Most customers don’t have a clear picture of exactly what they want. At Macy’s, we encourage our Sales Associates to present them with a variety of options, as well as give them the opinions they need to make a good decision.

“Oh great! You found it. Thanks so much,” she says when she sees me.
“My pleasure. An extra large, just like you wanted.”
“What?”
“Just kidding! It’s a medium. Sorry about the mix-up before,” I say. She’s laughing! I’m really doing it! I just might sell this 200 dollar coat. I have got to keep this momentum rolling. “And, just in case you didn’t realize, this coat is a reversible, so you’re really getting two coats for the price of one.”
“Wow! That’s great!” I turn the coat inside out. Her face drops. “Oh. I don’t know about a white coat for my husband. He’s kind of a slob. It’ll just get dirty, I’m afraid.”
“Ok, then just keep it green all the time.”
“Maybe… Would you do me a favor and try it on. You are about the same size as my husband.” I put the coat on. “What do you think of it?” she asks me.
“I like it very much. But then again, my girlfriend hates the coat I wear now. She won’t even let me buy my next coat without her. Haha!”

“Inspire to buy.” Customers often look to others for confirmation when they are about to make a purchase - especially if the purchase is a present. At Macy’s, we encourage our Sales Associates to help provide the customer with the resolve they need to get what they want. Inspire them!

Now she is not laughing. Did I really just say that? What is wrong with me? I have to say something constructive. What do I know about coats? Boy, I wish I knew something about coats. My dad just bought a coat. You know, the great thing about Nautica coats is that they are really, really warm. My dad just bought a Marmot coat, and it’s definitely not as warm as this one.”
“Marmot! That was the name! My husband had said something about that brand, and I had totally forgotten the name. Thanks so much! Where did your dad buy his coat?”
“Actually, at Macy’s.”
“Oh, wonderful! Here’s what we’ll do. I’m going to go and look for Marmot coats, but could you take this one and put it on hold for me, just in case?”

“Celebrate the Purchase.” While each step of the MAGIC selling process is important, we at Macy’s believe that the C in MAGIC is the most important. Because a great celebration will be likely to bring them back! Each customer is different, and each Sales Associate is different. There is no right or wrong way to celebrate the purchase. Just make sure you acknowledge the great decision they made, and ask them to come back soon.

She walks into the Nautica section with a giant bag. The word Marmot is on the bag. “When I saw this coat I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. You can take that other one off hold. I won’t be needing it. Again, thank you so much for all your help.”
“My pleasure ma’am.” After she leaves, Sonam laughs.
See how easy it is? At Macy’s, we believe that if you follow the MAGIC selling steps, you too can do magic. Thank you for watching. And thank you for believe in MAGIC.

1 comment:

Jon Doe said...

Remember that in sales no one makes a mistake.